To know the answer, read the content below.
Youtube came into the world on Feb.14, 2005 by three former employees of PayPal : Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim. The founders, at first, created Youtube as an online video dating website. Although, Youtube as- a- dating- website attracts fewer interest from a small set of users. Soon, users of Youtube started uploading fun-videos, home-videos, almost of all kinds on the platform.
Based on these videos feedback getting ample views from the users forced employers to transform youtube to a “Free Video Hosting” platform. In a very short period of time,youtube started getting more than 2 millions each day. After some months, it was serving more than 25 million views. In this way Youtube got its start from getting much views to an incredible massive views that made it a successful platform.
Well, each tool has its pros & cons
The immense growth at Youtube has its own kind of problems. The company simultaneously has to purchase more computerized equipment & more connections to Internet, which is really a rough task. Witnessing all this, Youtube started looking for a buyer to purchase it. So, in November 2006, Google came forward to purchase youtube worth $1.65 Billion & the same day, Youtube moves to its Headquarter in San Bruno, California.
In this way, Youtube got a boost and maintained that impetus and became a successful online video hosting platform till date.
Let’s have a look on some of the interesting facts of Youtube
- First ever video uploaded to Youtube, called “Me at the Zoo” which shows one of the cofounder Karim, standing in front of some elephants at San Diego and talking about their trunks. The video is only 18 seconds long. Link to watch video:- Me at the Zoo
- For the first time, Youtube got a hit of 1 million views on a viral Nike ad showing a soccer player Ronaldinho of Brazil wearing “Golden Boots” which represents the power of website’s role in marketing and virality.
Link to watch video:- Golden Boots
- Chart-topping hit Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne was the first song to break 100 million views after its release in 2008.
- The first video to smash through the 1 billion barrier featuring South Korean artist was PSY’s global megahit, Gangnam Style.
- More than 98 countries now have their own versions of youtube.
- In total, 17 different videos held the record for being the most watched video on YouTube. The current holder is Luis Fonsi’s hit, Despacito. It took the record off Wiz Khalifa’s See You Again when it hit 2.9 billion views.
- Americans are addicted to youtube. During a research, it is found that more than 80 percent North American adults (18-49 ages) watch at least 1 video on youtube.
- Apart from the US, YouTube views in majority come from Saudi Arabia.
- Every minute, Youtube receives 72 hours of new content.
- Youtube generates more than $13 billion per year in Ad Revenue.
- Every April fool’s day, YouTube plays a prank on its millions of users.
- When they played their first prank, they turned the website upside down and Rick Rolled everyone.
- Rickrolling appeared on Youtube for the first time in 2009. At the height of Rickrolling which was 2008, over 18 million U.S. adults were Rickrolled.
- Every week, more than 8 million people visit Youtube Kids.
- The longest video on YouTube is 571 hours, 1 minute, and 41 seconds long. That’s the same as 23 days and 19 hours.
BEST SCIENCE YOUTUBE CHANNELS
- VSAUCE – 12 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- ASAPSCIENCE – 6.9 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- SMARTEREVERYDAY – 5.1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- KURZGESAGT – IN A NUTSHELL – 4.9 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- SCISHOW – 4.4 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- VERITASIUM – 4.3 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- MINUTE PHYSICS – 4 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- IT’S OKAY TO BE SMART – 1.6 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS
- PERIODIC VIDEOS – 973 THOUSAND SUBSCRIBERS
- HOME SCIENCE – 687,000 SUBSCRIBERS
Despite of all these impressive figures, YouTube is still merely the world’s second most viewed website (behind Google.com).